Job title: Communication and Outreach Assistant
Reference Number: DPP/002/COA/2014
Reporting to: Technical Lead Location: Nairobi
Purpose of the Position
The holder of this position will be required to assist in conceptualization, development and implementation of all communications and take an active role in advocacy programs and strategies.
He / she will be instrumental in ensuring effective communication with all stakeholders and the public regarding the work, achievements and image of YADSTI.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Defining the overall operational plan for the management of the day-to-day communication related issues.
- Assisting in developing, implementing and monitoring YADSTI’s communication policies, strategies and plans that will project the Agency’s good image.
- Conceptualizing and assisting in production of professional Information, Education & Communication (IEC) materials, including press releases, information kits, workshop materials, talking points, speeches, brochures, scripts, and other related materials.
- Managing the production of the Agency’s Quarterly Newsletters, Press Statements, Annual Reports, and other media items.
- Coordinating various media and advocacy initiatives to assure understanding and visibility of the Agency.
- Preparing detailed reports on events including workshops, seminars, conferences, study tours etc.
- Monitoring local and international media and preparing clippings/records of project-related news making full use of electronic news/discussion networks.
- Responding to requests for information from donor, media, government and general public regarding the Agency’s activities.
- Assisting in maintaining and updating the Agency’s website.
- Developing Concept Notes, TORs, budgets and plans for organizing dialogues, workshops, seminars, conferences, study tours and other policy advocacy related events.
- Plan procurements for the events such as event contractors, resource persons, moderators, rapporteurs, other supporting staff and materials.
- Identify and maintain lists of relevant media contacts, editors, community leaders, other opinion leaders, industries contacts, and government contacts to ensure wide and targeted distribution of information.
- Performing any other duties and responsibilities, especially tasks related to communications and advocacy as assigned by the Technical Lead or Senior Management Team.
Academic / Professional Qualifications
- Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or any other related area, with demonstrated ability to manage external and internal multimedia communications projects.
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills to work well with wide range of stakeholders to elicit accurate information and expression of views on relevant issues.
- Strong coordination, facilitation, negotiation, networking, lobbying and advocacy skills.
- Excellent verbal, written and editorial communication skills.
- Good reporting skills.
- Knowledge and connected to large network of local media contacts
- Experience in developing and implanting social media marketing strategies and policies.
- Knowledge and ability to supervise production of print and digital media content.
Personal Qualities & Behavioural Attributes
- Good character standing.
- A Self-starter with a strong desire to learn.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Interested and Qualified individuals should send their curriculum vitae (CV) strictly in soft copy through the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org by 30th January 2014, and should quote the reference number in the subject of the email. The CV should not exceed two (2) pages and should be in Arial Font Size 11.
N.B: YADSTI reserves the right to contact applicants for interviews.